In 1849 following the St. Louis Fire and the cholera outbreak that killed a tenth of the residents of downtown S. Louis. Kirkwood was the first suburban municipality built outside of the St. Louis City boundaries.
Kirkwood was platted in 1852,
and named for James P. Kirkwood, chief engineer of the Missouri
Kirkwood Farmer's Market
Kirkwood Freedom Festival
Kirkwood Station was built in 1893 in Richardsonian Romanesque style.
The Magic House buiding was built in 1901