CHEROKEE/ BENTON PARK BENTON PARK WEST
Benton Park proper was first used as the City Cemetery, from 1842-1865. Those buried in the cemetery were relocated in 1865, and the neighborhood was created on June 25, 1866, by city ordinance.
A Civil War landmark, Fort Number Three, was built in a cruciform shape Salena and Lynch Streets
Benton Park West is comprised of two different neighborhoods in the 1970’s, Compton Hill and Marquette-Cherokee neighborhoods.
In 1860's BP was notable for the many sink holes and underground caverns which honeycombed the vicinity
It was during the 1890s that Cherokee Street began to assume commercial importance, largely due to the convenience of the new electric streetcar lines.
Cherokee Antique Row
Chatillon-DeMenil Mansion, is a beautiful example of Greek Revival architecture.
Cherokee Street Business District is an impromptu arts district that houses innumerable entrepreneurs, artists, writers, creators, small business owners, entrepreneurs and visionaries.
Casa Loma Ball Room is St. Louis' last grand ballroom continually offering live music for swing, big band & ballroom dancing since 1927
Cinco De Mayo:
A Cherokee Street Festival
Cherokee-Lemp History Walk
People's Joy Parade